Posted by Daniela Elza on Jul 07 2007
- Saturday, March 4, 2017
I will be giving a workshop: What’s in an Image at the 10th Mission Writers and Readers Festival
- August 9th, 2016, 7-8:30pm
Writing workshop at the Revelstoke Public Library, 605 Campbell Ave, Revelstoke, BC.
- August 11th, 2016, 7:30pm
I will be reading at flywheel reading series alongside Martin West, Richard Kemick, and Ashley-Elizabeth Best. @ Pages Bookstore, 1135 Kensington Road, at 7:30, Calgary. More info as it becomes available.
- August 13th, 2016, 1-4pm
Writing workshop (1pm-2:30pm) and Poetry Reading (3pm-4pm) at the Salmon Arm Public Library, 285 Piccadilly Mall, 1151 10th Ave. SW, Salmon Arm, BC.
August 14, 2016, 2pm-4pm
Featuring at Poetry New West Reading Series with Raoul Fernandes. There will be open mic too. 2-4pm at Original’s Rstaurante Mexicano, 800 Carnarvon Stree, New West. The series is run by local poet Alan Hill.
- July 18-22, 2016
I will again take part in SAIL (Summer Academy to Inspire Learning) at Portland State University, Portland, Oregon.
- June 25, 2016
House concert. Poetry and Music with Clyde Reed and Jared Burrows. (I hear it is sold out)
- July 3, 2016, 7pm
Al Rempel will be launching “Four Neat Holes” (Leaf Press, 2016) and Geoffrey Nilson & myself will be his guests. “Four Neat Holes” is a short suite of thirteen poems that examines loss and grief through the eyes of four children growing up and coming of age. I will be reading some new work. Sunday, July 3rd, at 7pm at People’s Co-op Bookstore, 1391 Commercial Dr, Vancouver. Free Event. Books for sale.
- April 8-10, 2016.
Okanagan Valley Writers’ Festival. To register click here.
Here are the Extras! you can sign up for too.
I am giving two workshops and three one-on-one consultations.
- April 18, 2016
Poetry and art at the Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery. The night will feature poets who have written to the art in the gallery and the audience will get the chance to write to the exhibit too and share at the open mic portion of the evening. Location: Jewish Community Center, 950 West 41st Avenue. Free Event.
- Thursday, January 7th, 2016, 7pm.
I will be doing about a 20 min set in collaboration with virtuoso musicians Clyde Reed (double bass) and Jared Burrows (guitar) at the Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery. Other featured poets are Bonnie Nish, Wilhelmina Salmi, Enrico Renz, Amanda Wardrop, Maria Dimas, and Fran Bourassa. The audience will get the chance to write to the glass exhibit too and share at the open mic portion of the evening. Location: Jewish Community Center, 950 West 41st Avenue. Free Event.
- Wednesday, January 13th, 2016, 7-9:30pm
Twisted Poets literary Salon will be launching the Make it True: Poetry from Cascadia Anthology (Leaf Press, 2015). Over twenty featured readers from the anthology will read their poems. Here are their names: Robert Lashley, Bill Carty, Paul Nelson, Thomas Walton, Nadine Maestas, Anastacia Tolbert, Sarah de Leeuw, Hope Anderson, Judith Roche, Crystal Hurdle, Lary Timewell, Daphne Marlatt, Meredith Quartermain, George Stanley, Cath Morris, Jordan Abel, Judith Copithorne, Stephen Collis, Susan McCaslin, Renee Saklikar, Heidi Greco, Renee Rodin, Dennis E Bolen, Daniela Elza.
Location: The Cottage Bistro, 4468 Main Street.
September 26th, 2015.
3:00-5:00pm Wading into the Swamp: Getting Messy with Writing with Daniela Elza
in Alma Van Dusen Room, Vancouver Public Library, 350 W. Georgia Street, Vancouver.
September, 27th, 2015.
- Poetry On The Bus
11:30 am The Revolving City: 51 Poems and the Stories Behind Them (Anvil Press $18.00)
With Daniela Elza, Mercedes Eng, Mariner Janes, and Cecily Nicholson. Hosted by Renée Sarojini Saklikar.
- Magazine Words
Canadian literary magazine presentations, readings, and panel discussions.
12:10 pm Room Magazine with Daniela Elza and Meaghan Rondeau
Presented by Room Magazine. Hosted by Bonnie Nish.
Here is the full schedule.
- October 1 st and 2nd, 2015
Presenting with Su-Lin Tseng on October 2nd, from 9-10:30am at 2015 Verge Conference, Trinity Western University. Click here for the schedule.
- October 8-10th, 2015
Presenting at the
5th International Symposium on Poetic Inquiry, University of British Columbia.
- October 16th, 2015.
Reading at the launch night for Room magazine
@at Heartwood Community Cafe in Vancouver.
Launching issues 38.2 “How We Relate” and 38.3 “Trespass”
- August 26th, 2015
Pandora’s Collective presents
Features: Daniela Elza, Suzy Malcolm, Kevin Spenst, Sophea Heang @
Words On Water. There will also be open mic.
Time: 5:00-7:00 pm
Lonsdale Quay Public Market,123 Carrie Cates Court, North Vancouver
(Outdoor performance stage by the fountain, close to the sea bus stations.)Hosts: Bonnie Nish and Una Bruhns
- August-September, 2015
Judge for the 2015 Surrey Libraries’ Young Adult Writing Contest (YAWC).
- August 14 & 15th, 2015
Reading and Writing Workshop in Armstrong, BC.
August 14 – Friday evening at 6:30 pm – poetry reading + Q&A @ the Armstrong Library.
August 15 – Saturday 1 pm to 3 pm – writing workshop @ the Armstrong Library.
I will also be at the Farmer’s Market on Saturday morning.
- July 17th, 2015
Reading for KIZUNA: Gather for Nepal series of events.
CHAPTER 3: July 17, Friday (5–8pm)
UBC, Simon K.Y. Lee Global Lounge & Resource Centre
Nepal Information / Poetry / Music / Dance / Interactive Art
for the other dates you can go to their FB page
- July 20th to the 24th, 2015
Taking part in SAIL (Summer Academy to Inspire Learning), Portland State University, Portland.
- March 26th-28th, 2015, 7pm
Readings in San Francisco AreaThursday, 26th in Ukiah
Writers Read Reading Series,
@ Art Centre Ukiah, 201 South State Street,
Corner of Church Street.
- Saturday, March 28th, 2015, 6-9pm
@ Pleasanton at Towne Center Books,
555 Main Street, Pleasanton, CA.
From the press release:
For those of you who never had the pleasure of seeing the Northern Lights, we bring south for you O Canada, Bonnie Nish and Daniela Elza, and from the California north, Jabez W. Churchill; and for those of you who swoon to the Green Flash of the western sun, we shine the magic light of Clara Hsu
Hosted by Fred Norman.
- March 24, 2015, 7pm
Writing to the art at the Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery and featuring the new work that night, reading among the paintings that inspire the poems. Readers and performers appear on the poster I will be hosting this event. Might read too if I get somehting together.
Jewish Community Centre
950 West 41st Ave.
- Feb. 20 & 21, 2015
Presenting with Su-Lin Tseng at the Provoking Curriculum Studies Conference to be held @ UBC
Stepping in Tune: A poetry-dance collaboration between Daniela Elza and Su-Ling Tseng
Feb. 21, 9:30-10:30am, 202 SCARFE building, UBC.
- March 7, 2015, 10-4pm
Having Fun with Rejections Workshop at the 8th Mission Writers and Readers Festival, Heritage Park Centre, Mission.
Check out the other workshops, descriptions, presenters, schedule of events etc. here.
- November 13, 2014, 6:30pm
Southbank Reading Series:
Features Kate Braid, with Cristina Viviani, Daniela Elza, Tanveer Sohal, Laurel Albina, Joan Boxall, and Bernice Lever. Doors open at 6pm, readings begin at 6:30pm. Location:
Surrey Central City Library, Room 120 (lower floor)
- October 28, 2014, 7pm-9pm
Featuring poems written to the art exhibit Marked Panels Panels Panels Panels by Joyce Ozier
Poets: Mary Duffy, Daniela Elza, Falcon Ohara, Amanda Wardrop, and Warren Dean Fulton
Host: Fran Bourassa
- Oct. 29th 2014, 7pm
BOOK LAUNCH: Second Growth by Fabienne Calvert Filteau with Jen Currin, Surya Govender and Daniela Elza
(The event is co-hosted by Pandora’s Collective and People’s Co-op Bookstore)
Location: People’s Co-op Bookstore, 1391 Commercial Dr Vancouver, BC (604) 253-6442
Fabienne Calvert Filteau (Second Growth),
Jen Currin (School, Inquisition Yours, Hagiography, and The Sleep of Four Cities)
Surya Govender (2014 graduate of The Writer’s Studio)
Daniela Elza (milk tooth bane bone, the book of It and the weight of dew)
- October 16, 2014, 6pm
Launch of Emerge Anthology, The Writers Studio, SFU. I will be giving an introduction.
- October 18, 2014, 7pm
Performing at AIR Series Salon. Attendance by invitation.
This poetic performance will invite you on a journey. Daniela will showcase the ground she has covered over the last decade between poetry and philosophy, between awe and delight, between poetry and knowing and between poetry and dance. She will be joined by dancer and choreographer Su-Lin Tseng for the poetry-dance portion of the performance. Bring your poetic mind, your curiosities, your questions, and your passions. The performance will be followed by a Q&A period. Daniela loves to answer the call of the muse and she loves to answer questions.
- October 22, 2014, 10-11:20am
Talk/workshop at Elder College in Chilliwack
- October 3-5, 2014
Oregon Poetry Association Fall Conference in Bandon, OR.
at the Bandon Community Center, 300 Second St.
Workshop: on Saturday Oct 4, 11:20am -12:20pm
- September 4, 2014, 8pm
The TWS READING SERIES
The Writer’s Studio’s featured author for September will be poet Daniela Elza. The other readers are Ingrid Rose, Angela Kenyon, D.N. Simmers, Diana Joy, Sheila Galati, Jude Neale, and Dhana Musil. Hosts: Ivan Antoniw and Romney Grant.Thursday, September 4 at 8:00pm. Cottage Bistro, 4470 Main Street, Vancouver.
- September 14, 2014
POETRY IN THE GARDEN
An afternoon of poetry in the UBC Botanical Gardens featuring Lee Beavington, Daniela Elza, Veronica Gaylie, Kedrick James, Christi Kramer, Carl Leggo, Candice James, Renee Norman, Anar Rajabali, and Celeste Snowber. Sunday, September 14, 2014 2- 5 p.m. at Roseline Sturdy Amphitheatre, UBC Botanical Gardens. Complimentary Access to Garden on day and free parking for 3 hours. Free event.
August 10, 2014
- , 12-2pm.
- On the Spot Poetry!
Vancouver Pop-Up-Poets return on August 10th, noon to 2:00pm.
Hosted by Meharoona Ghani with guest poets Daniela Elza and Joshua Todd.
Your Word! We Write! We Recite! We invite you to request a poem be written on the spot. The poet performs it and gifts it to you.Find us in Olympic Village area, along the seawall heading kinda East towards Science World, close to Creekside Community Centre.
- July 9th, 2014, 6:30 -8:30pm
Poetry in the Park: I am reading with Alan Hill and Celeste Snowber. Bring something for open mic. Also if you wish a blanket and a picnic. Readings take place in Queen’s Park Band Shell, New Westminster. Rain or Shine. If it rains PIP will take place in the Arts Council New West gallery.
Poetry in the park runs on Wednesdays from July 2nd to Aug. 27th.
- July 14th, 2014
Literary Café, Harison Festival of the Arts. Poetry and Music.
Monday, July 14 7:30pm
Tickets: $12.00 (for tickets and more information click here).
Featured writers include Andrea MacPherson, Daniela Elza, John Carroll, Rajnish Dhawan, Katie Stobbart, Michelle Rickaby, and Michelle Vandepol.
Musicians: Jared Burrows and Clyde Reed.
UFV, which is celebrating 40 years in 2014, has worked in partnership with the Harrison Festival since 1978, and presented the Literary Café since 1999.
- July 15th, 2014, 6:30 -8:30pm
Writing Workshop: Getting messy with Writing:
A writing workshop in which participants write, share, and listen.We will also discuss the importance and the messiness of this generative process of writing and its discoveries.Register at 604-527-4667 or
New West Public Library, 716 – 6th Avenue, New Westminster.
Sponsored by the Royal City Literary Arts Society and the Library
- July 2, 2014
Presenting at the Embodied Artful Practices: A symposium exploring the body in bold and unexpected ways.Hosted by School for the Contemporary Arts, Simon Fraser University. @ the Goldcorp Centre for the Arts, SFU Downtown.
- July 2-4, 2014
Presenting at the IERG 9th International Conference on Imagination in Education.
- June 23rd-27th, 2014
Keynote and workshops at the Summer Academy to Inspire Learning (SAIL) Camp for High School at Portland State University, Portland Oregon. For more info go to their website here.
- June 28th, 2014
I will take part in the dancing with words at the Marpole Dance Festival 2014, Vancouver. I will have a dancer improvise alongside me while I read. So she will dance to the poems, the words, and the music in them. I have loved working with dancers and musicians and this is a continuation of this crossing over.Abundance: A Magical Tapestry of Movement
Saturday June 28, 2014
FREE Open House Workshops, Showcases & Food Fair @ 1 – 5:30pm
Festival Performance Gala @ 7:30pm
$20/$15 (Group 10+: $18/$12)
Scottish Cultural Centre
8886 Hudson St, Vancouver
- Friday, June 13, 2014, 7:30 -9:30pm
Come read your entry at Pandora’s Collective event:
Where: The Toast Collective 648 Kingsway, Vancouver, BC
(Cash bar, bring some munchies to share if you like!)
For info and to sign up contact Fran: firstname.lastname@example.org or Bonnie email@example.com
Didn’t enter? No problem. Try your hand at this
year’s ten word list and read at the open mic:
wolf versions barge timbres probably tag booster putative cramp unlocked
- June 14th, 2014
Day for the WIN awards. Thank you for the distinguished Poet Award for 2014 from Writers International Network Canada Society.
- Saturday, June 7, 2014, 8pm.
fundraiser and benefit show as part of BC Children’s Hospital’s Balding for Dollars fundraiser, which raises money specifically for their Oncology department. There will be an actual shearing of long hair, probably on stage. Hope you can come and support this benefit show.
admission is by donation and goes to Balding for Dollars (if you cannot attend but would like to donate click here)..the musicians: Clint Wilson, Kenn Nakamine, Matt Lef, Lory White
the voices: Chris Gilpin, Pamela Bentley, Marylee Stephenson, Kyle Hawke, Candice James, Jp Lorence, Lara Varesi, Sho Wiley, Fortunate Sonya, Daniela Elza, Angelo Renai, Callahan Connor
Elegwen Ó Maoileóin
Jack Gibson & Altogether Lisa
the Apple Tobacco Twosome, Daniel Deorksen & Phyllis Ho
show starts promptly at 8. pre-show warmup will start at 7.
FB page: https://www.facebook.com/events/246144118924938/
- June 5, 2014
Collaborating with Su-Lin Tseng at the 12 MINUTES MAX
- May 25th, 2014
Join us for an evening of poetry, music and dance featuring poets Jude Neale and Daniela Elza, musicians Jared Burrows (Guitar), Clyde Reed (Bass) and Chris Corrigan (Celtic Flute) and dance by Su-Lin Tseng. Sunday, May 25th, 7pm, Presentation House Gallery, 333 Chesterfield Ave., North Vancouver. Tickets $20.
- Writer-in-Residence for a week at Bedales School, England, May 7-13, 2014.
- 2014 UFV Writer-in-Residence from January-April, 2014.
- March 30th, 3-5pm
Featuring at Poetic Justice with Rob Budde, Deborah L. Kelly and Portland poet John Sibley Williams. There is also open mic. So come and bring something to the open mic. The Heritage Grill, Back Room, 447 Columbia Street, New Westminster. For more details and bios you can click here to go to their website.
- April 2nd, 2014, 12:30-2pm
Features: Evelyn Lau, Elsie K. Neufeld, Robert Martens,Rajnish Dhawan, Helene Littmann and myself. 10 min each.There will be a music interlude by Heidi Luhmert. @ 12:30, at University House, University of the Fraser Valley, Abbotsford campus.
- April 26, 2014, 11am -12 noon
Upcoming Workshop at LitFest New West:
The Business Side of Writing
Workshops are Free.
- May 1, 2014
Reading at a fundraiser at St. James Hall, Vancouver
- March 1st, 2014, 10am -4pm
7th Annual Mission Writers’ and Readers’ Festival. Reading/keynote and workshop. For details click here to see the days workshops and events and to sign up. Location:UFV Mission Campus, Heritage Park Centre 33700 Prentis Avenue, Mission BC V2V 7B1.
- March 6th, 2014, 7-9
Art, Music, and Poetry
A night of poetry inspired by Brush and Wire, an exhibit by Karen Brumelle and Joanne Waters. Featured poets: Daniela Elza, Chelsea Comeau, Carl Leggo, Celeste Snowber, Bonnie Nish, Ali Denno, and Dennis E. Bolen. Music by Jenn Bojm. March 6th, 7pm-9 pm @ the Jewish Community Centre Gallery, 950 41st Ave W, Vancouver. There will be opportunity to write to the art and read at open mic. Free event. .
- March 11th, 2014.
2014 GreenSPEAK Seminar Series
Presenter: 2014 Writer-in –Residence Daniela Elza
Location: B101, Abbotsford CampusThrough the poetry of the world: Toward an Ecology of Being
In this poetic exploration I would hope to entice you into a perspective of nature, place, environment, through the poetic consciousness. We do not all have to write poetry but we have to live and think poetically. The good news is that we all can. Regardless of whether you are in Biology, Geography, Environmental Studies, English, Creative Writing, Communications, Languages, Anthropology, etc bring your questions, quandaries and curiosities. Or just bring your ear and enjoy what you hear.
- March 13th, 2014
Canadian Writers Series at University of the Fraser Valley
UFV Bookstore, Abbotsford Campus
Fratures: Renée Sarojini Saklikar, Rob Taylor, Rajnish Dhawan
Host: Daniela ELzaOur 2014 Writer-in-Residence, Daniela Elza, in collaboration with ESA and The English and Creative Writing Department, is organizing and hosting three readings. The second reading will feature Renée Sarojini Saklikar (author of “children of air india”, Rob Taylor (author of “The Other Side of Ourselves”) and Rajnish Dhawan. There will be also be 6 open mic spots for anyone who wishes to sign up to share a 3-5 min of their creative writing (any genre). (For open mic you can sign up before the event at Daniela.Elza@ufv.ca or come a bit early and sign up on the spot.)
- January 25-26th, 2014
Workshop at Blumin Pop Up weekend of workshops, readings and art displays.
Blumin Pop Up Shop Workshop with Daniela Elza & Soressa Gardner – Working Together: When Artists Collaborate
In this two hour workshop we will talk about collaborations between artists within and across artistic mediums/disciplines. We will share some instances of collaborations we have been involved with. We will also engage in some collaborative activities and invite the process to inform us. Bring your inspiration and your questions.
To sign up click here.
- January 28th, 2014.
WORDSTORM READING SERIES
WordStorm will feature Daniela Elza, Mary Ann Moore and Jan De Grass on Tuesday, January 28th, 7pm, at The Vault Cafe, 499 Wallace Street, Nanaimo. http://www.wordstorm.ca
- January 30th, 2014, 12 noon
Daniela Elza is scheduled to give an Inaugural reading at University House, University of the Fraser Valley, Abbotsford, on Thursday, January 30th, 12 noon as the 2014 UFV Writer-in-Residence.
- January 30th, 2014, 7pm
Featuring at On Edge Reading Series, with Gillian Jerome, Emily Carr University of Art and Design. More details to come.
- December 5th, 2013. 7pm-9pm
Word Whips music by Tzimmes poetry by Pandora’s Collective
Dennis E. Bolen, Una Bruhns, Christy Hill, Chelsea Comeau, Daniela Elza, Dethe Elza, and Natasha Boskic will read their poetry inspired by STORY/LINE, an exhibit of photography by Larry Wolfson.
Tzimmes: Moshe Denburg (lead vocal, guitar) Saul Berson (clarinet, flute, saxophone) Yona Bar-Sever (lead guitar, vocals)
Hosts: Amanda Wardrop, Bonnie Nish
@ the Jewish Community Centre, Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery Room, 950 West 41st Ave, Vancouver
Free Admission. Everyone is welcome.
- Sunday, December 8th, 2013, 1-3pm
Reading at Renaissance Books, New Westminster.
- Sunday, October 20th, 2013, 7pmInspired by Pacific Lands – Writings from Cascadia and Hawaii: Tom Peek, Daniela Elza, and Trevor Carolan Reading from Their New Works
- October 23rd, 2013, 7pm
Featuring at Residual Reading Series with Lorri Neilsen Glenn and Robyn Sarah at Librarie Drawn and Quarterly, 211 Rue Bernard Ouest, Montréal, QC. Doors open 7pm readings begin 7:30pm. Thank you Wanda O’Connor for organizing this event.
- October 23-26th, 2013.
Presenting at the 4th International Symposium on Poetic Inquiry in Montreal.
- October 27th, 2013, 7pm.
Featuring at Mutual Readings Series at the Secret Handshake Gallery,189B Mutual Street
Toronto. I will have the pleasure to share the stage with Aydin Mehmet Ali ( poet, educator, activist) from Cyprus. Other features TBA. Mutual Reading happen on the last Sunday of each month.Doors open at 7:00 readings start at 7:30Thank you to David Batman for organizing this event and to TWUC for funding.
- October 9, 2013. 12:30pm-12:40pm
Brief reading at the Paper Hound Bookstore down town.
- October 11th, 2013, 7:30pm.
Reading at Planet Earth Reading Series with Emilia Neilsen. The reading series happens at The Moka House, #103-1633 Hillside Avenue, Victoria, B.C. $3 at the door.
- October 12th, 2013.
Screening at Visible Verse Festival. Our videopoem, Crow Morphologies, is an official selection of the 2013 Visible Verse Festival at the Cinematheque in Vancouver, BC, Canada, the date Sat, Oct. 12.
- September 25th, 2013.
Reading with Al Rempel at 7pm at Cafe Voltaire, Books & Co., 1685 3rd Ave., Prince George, (250) 563-6637
- September 26-29th, 2013.
Presenter at the Rural Writers in Residence Retreat, at a country lodge near Smithers, BC.
- Sunday, September 29th, 2013. 7pm.
Reading in Terrace
@ Green Blossom Studio
2406 Pear St., Terrace B.C.
for more info contact: Joan Conway firstname.lastname@example.org
- Monday, Sept. 30th, 2013, 12 noon
Reading at Smithers Public Library
Address: 3817 Alfred Avenue, Smithers.
- September 17th, 2013, 8pm.
Guest reader at Spoken Ink Reading Series.
(Sign up for the open mic at 7:30 pm, reading begins 8 pm. There is time for Q&A.
Location: La Fontana Cafe in N. Burnaby.
- August 7th, 2013
Conduct a live interview with Evelyn Lau, Writers Studio, SFU event. The event is part of the Summer Writes: Urban Tales.
- July 18th, 2013, 7pm.Feature at Poetry Gabriola Series on July 18, 7-9pm (doors open at 6:45pm), at the Old Crow Café, Gabriola Island. Performers sign up on arrival. Readings in the first half of the evening. Writing in the second half. Series runs every third Thursday of the month. More information: email@example.com or 250-247-0117.
- June 8th, 2013
Features Daniela Elza, Sean Wiebe, and Christi Kramer, at The Readery, 209 North First Avenue, Sandpoint, Idaho.
- June 10th, 2013
Features Daniela Elza, Sean Wiebe, and Christi Kramer, at Shakespeare and Co.Bookstore, Missoula, Montana.
- June 12th, 2013
Features Daniela Elza, Sean Wiebe, and Christi Kramer + 4:30pm workshop, public reading at 6pm, at The Pearl Theater, Ash Street, Bonners Ferry, Idaho.
- June 13th, 2013
Features Daniela Elza and Sam Stephenson + Open mic and a Poetical Host, 7:30pm Booksmyth Underground, 338 Baker Street, Nelson BC.
- June 20th, 2013, 7pm
Writing to the art at the Sidney Gertrude Zack Gallery, at the JCC. And featuring the writing that night.
More details to come.
- May 19th, 2013, 2pm.
LAUNCH OF FORCE FIELD IN DEEP COVE
@Seymour Art Gallery, 4360 Gallant Ave, North Vancouver.
The line up of readers: Fran Bourassa, Shauna Paull, Miranda Pearson, Daniela Elza, Yvonne Blomer, Susan McCaslin, Susan Cormier, Aislin Hunter, Heather Haley, Cathy Stonehouse.
- May 23rd, 2013, 7-9:30pm.
TWISTED POETS LITERARY SALON
Featuring with the wonderful Aislinn Hunter at Twisted Poets Literary Salon. Reading from my new book Milk Tooth Bane Bone (Leaf Press, April 2013). There is also open mic, so come and sign up to read (sign up for open mic is between 7-7:30pm)
Location: The Cottage Bistro, 4468 Main Street, Vancouver.
Suggested donation at the door: $5. All are welcome. Twisted Poets runs the 2nd Wednesday and the 4th Thursday of the month. More information at www.pandorascollective.com
- May 14th, 2013, 7pm.
LEAF PRESS SPRING POETRY LAUNCH
Join us in celebrating Leaf Press’ spring poetry collections: Surge Narrows by Emilia Nielsen, milk tooth bane bone by Daniela Elza and Dark Matter by Leanne McIntosh, May 14th, 7pm, at Rowan’s Roof Top Restaurant, 2340 W 4th Ave, Vancouver. Readings. Nibbles. Books for sale. Free event.
- May 11th, 2013, 12-3pm
WRITTEN IN THE FOREST
Poetry reading by Han Shan Poets opening Susan Falk’s Art Exhibition (May 8-26). Sat. May 11, 12-3 pm. Poetry Readings between 1:15 and 2 pm, at The Fort Gallery, 9048 Glover Road, Fort Langley. Poets: E.D. Blodgett, Daniela Elza, Pam Galloway, Heidi Greco, Fiona Lam, Chris Levenson, Susan McCaslin, Ray McGinnis, Elsie Neufeld, Catherine Owen, Jamie Reid, Celeste Snowber. Wine and cheese; silent auction of 12 new paintings by Susan Falk based on 12 poems by the Han Shan Poets. Contact: 604-888-7411 Website: firstname.lastname@example.org
- May 2nd, 2013, 7pm
I will be stopping in Portland for one night to launch milk tooth bane bone (Leaf Press, 2013). Portland poet John Sibley Williams will join me and read from his brand new book “Controlled Hallucinations.” There will be Q&A with the authors after the reading. Here is the Calendar listing on their site.
May 2nd, 2013
@ In Other Words
14 NE Killingsworth, Portland, Oregon 97217
This event is free to the public and all donations go to the nonprofit community organization In Other Words.
Thank you to In Other Words for hosting this event.
- May 3-4, 2013
Reading and Presenting at the Northwest Poets’ Concord, Newport, Oregon
- April 26th, 2013, 7pm.
FORCE FIELD Anthology Launch, Burnby
Force Field – 77 Women Poets of British Columbia. The first of its kind in thirty-four years, this anthology strongly celebrates women poets, from the emerging, mid-career to the established. Friday, April 26th, 7-10pm. @ the Shadbolt Centre for the Arts, 6450 Deer Lake Avenue, Burnaby. Free.
Hosted by Shauna Paull
- April 24th, 2013, 8pm.
Vancouver Improvisers Orchestra performs new works with poet Daniela Elza.
@Presentation House Studio, 333 Chesterfield Avenue (3rd St. one block west of Lonsdale) North
The studio is in the old church at west end of parking lot.
Admission $10 at the door. Free tea and cookies.
- April 20th, 2013, 2-4pm.
POEMS FROM PLANET EARTH Anthology Launch
You are invited to the Vancouver launch of Poems from Planet Earth Anthology (Leaf Press, 2013). Saturday, April 20th, 2-4pm, at Historic Joy Kogawa House, 1450 West 64th Avenue. Contributors will read from the book. Books for sale and signing by the authors. Light refreshments will be served. Mix and mingle and view the Cherry Blossoms: A Textile Translation fibre arts exhibit on display at this time. Suggested donation: $5.
- April 19th, 2013. Under the Bed reading Series.
- April 21st, 2013. 2pm
Launch of Perspective Poetry Magazine with live readings on Blogtalkradio
- April 15th, 2013. 7-9pm.
NORTH SHORE WRITERS ASSOCIATION
North Shore Writers’ Association will celebrate National Poetry Month with guest poet/speaker Daniela Elza, whose book milk tooth bane bone is hot off the press. Come on out to hear her muse and test yours. April 15th, at 7pm, at the Potlatch Room at Capilano District Library, 3045 Highland Blvd. North Vancouver. Members free, non-members, $5.
- April 13th, 2013, 3-4:30pm
FORCE FIELD Anthology Launch
Launching Force Field: 77 Women Poets of BC (Edited by Susan Musgrave, published my Mother Tongue Publishing)The first of its kind in thirty-four years, this anthology strongly celebrates women poets, from the emerging, mid-career to the established. Saturday, April 13 at 3:00pm. Alma VanDusen & Peter Kaye rooms, lower level, Central Branch, 350 W. Georgia St. More information at www.vpl.ca.
Afterparty 5-8 pm at The Railway Club.
- April 12th, 2013, 7-9pm.
ALIVE AT THE CENTRE ANTHOLOGY LAUNCH
You are invited to celebrate with us at the Vancouver launch of Alive at the Centre: An Anthology of Poems from the Pacific NorthWest (Ooligan Press, Portland, 2013). The anthology includes poems from three cities: Vancouver, Portland, and Seattle. Poet Laureate Evelyn Lau will open the night. Host: Rob Taylor. Readings by contributors. Books for sale. April 12th, 7-9pm @ the Rhizome Cafe (317 E. Broadway). Come early to enjoy Rhizome’s delicious food and drinks. Free event.
The Seattle Launch is scheduled for April 5th. And the Portland launch is scheduled for April 19th.
I am the Vancouver regional editor of this anthology along side Robin Susanto and Bonnie Nish.
- March 28th, 2013. 7pm start.
A night of socially engaged writing of peace provocation and witness with the launch of Al-Mutanabbi Street Starts Here Anthology.
Co-hosting this event with Rob Taylor and reading a couple of poems from the anthology.
Contributors Sita Carboni, Bonnie Nish, Fran Bourassa, Daniela Elza, Suzy Malcolm to the anthology will read with guests John Fisher and Hadani Ditmars.
Also featuring Cristine Leclerc with special guests Susan McCaslin, Stephen Collis, Renee Saklikar, Elena E. Johnson and Juliane Okot Bitek.
Thursday, March 28,
7-9:30pm, at The Cottage Bistro, 4468 Main Street.
Suggested donation at the door: $5.
All are welcome.
More information at www.pandorascollective.com
- March 18th, 2013, 7:30pm.
Reading with Prince George poet Al Rempel (This Isn’t the Apocalypse We Hoped For published by Caitlin Press, 2013) and Adrienne Fitzpatrick (The Earth Remembers Everything, Caitlin Press).
Location: People’s Co-Op Books, 1391 Commercial Drive, Vancouver BC.
- March 21, 2013, 7:00-9:00pm.
Music, Poetry & Word Whips inspired by Glimpses of Africa exhibit.
An evening featuring music by singer/songwriter, Nancy Newman and poetry inspired by photographs by Claudine Pommier in her Glimpses of Africa exhibit. Featured poets include Rob Taylor, Chelsea Comeau, Amanda Wardrop, Lara Varesi, Christy Hill, Daniela Elza, Jamie Reid and Lindsay Kwan.Location: Jewish Community Centre,Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery Room, 950 West 41st Ave, Vancouver
Free Admission. Everyone is welcome.
- February 22-24th, 2013.
Participating author in the 4th Galiano Literary Festival.Lovely to read along side Jan Zwicky and to meet so many lovely people.
- January 25, 2013
Mashed Poetics is a spoken word and music mash up where poets write new works based on songs from a specific album and perform it the night of the show. We also have a cover band, The Different People to play the album live the night of the show. Poets perform in between songs.
The next show is Friday January 25th @ The Kozmik Zoo on Broadway (53 West Broadway). Doors at 8. Show at 9. Admission $10.The next album is the multi platinum Tragic Kingdom by No Doubt.
Poets performing this time around areSide A
Ivan Penaluna—Excuse Me Mr.
Timothy Shay—Just a Girl
Julie C. Peters—Happy Now
RC Weslowski—Different People
Daniela Elza—Hey You
Susan Cormier—The ClimbSide B
Leah Horlick—Sunday Morning
Ben Rawluk–Don’t Speak
Kyle Mallinson–You Can Do It
Shannon Rayne—World Go Round
Lee Cannon-Browne—End it on This
Sebastien Wen—Tragic KingdomCome by early and enjoy a great meal at the Zoo
- December 13, 2012, from
Word Whips inspired by art exhibit Sefirot by James K-M Thursday
@ the Jewish Community Centre, Gallery Room, 950 West 41st Ave, Vancouver
Free Admission. Everyone is welcome.
Join us for an evening of art and poetry with Pamela Bentley as host. Poets Dennis E. Bolen, Daniela Elza, David Shewell, Eva Waldauf, Wilhelmina Salmi, and Bonnie Nish will read their poetry inspired by the art exhibited on the walls of the gallery. As usual, there will be time for the audience to participate by writing to the exhibit and reciting their poems during the ‘open mic’ portion of the evening.
Presented by the Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery in collaboration with Pandora’s Collective and the Isaac Waldman Jewish Public Library, and made possible by the Yosef Wosk Poetry Initiative Grant.
- November 7th, 2012, 7-9pmBarry Peterson will be talking about the photographs in 111 West Coast Literary Portraits and writers will be reading from the book. Here is more info.
@ McGill Library, 4595 Albert St, Burnaby, BC V5C 2G6.
October 22, 2012
- Will be part of Community Dinner Dialogue—
- Preserve This: Stories Food Culture & Mini Fall Fair
October 22, 2012 from 6pm to 9pm
@ W2 Media Cafe, 111 W Hastings, Vancouver
Website or Map: http://w2mediacafe.org/2012/0…
Event Type: dinner, community, dialogue, stories
Organized By: W2 Media Cafe
- October 11th, 2012, 8pm.Launching 111 West Coast Literary Portraits. Music, food and a bar.
@ the Heritage Hall, 3102 Main Street, Vancouver.
WORD ON THE STREET
September 30, 2012
- Featured at Word on the Street, 12:30 -12:45pm at the Poetry Tent. Reading from my book the weight of dew (Mother Tongue Publishing, 2012). Before me was Billeh Nickerson and after me Tim Lilburn. Here is the schedule for the poetry tent and from there you can see the schedule for any tent event you are interested in.
- Hosted the 11-11:45am slot on the Main Stage for featuring the winners of the Literary Writes Contest of the Federation of BC Writers
- Co-ordinated the volunteers for the FBCW table for the day at WOTS
- WORDS AND MUSIC
Wednesday October 3, 2012
At 333 Chesterfield Avenue (3rd St. one block west of Lonsdale) North Vancouver.
Admission $10 at the door.
Free tea and cookies.Acclaimed poet, Daniela Elza, reads her richly evocative poetry improvisationally in collaboration with musicians Bill Clark (trumpet), Clyde Reed (bass) and Jared Burrows (guitar). There will be two sets of 40 min each with a break in between where we will jam and go back and forth between poetry and music, just music, just poetry, just just, just because and see what happens. You are invited to witness something that will never be repeated again.
[I did not write the first sentence of the blurb, and I contemplated taking out acclaimed. But if someone wrote it why do such edits. What do I know of such things! I can only bow and say thank you.]
- October 4, 2012, 7pm (new time and new venue The Cottage Bistro )
Featured author at the TWS Reading Series.
Here are the details they sent out:
TWS READING SERIES (Please Note New Location & New Time)
Thursday, October 4th 8:00-10:00 p.m.
Cottage Bistro*, 4470 Main Street (at East 29th), Vancouver
Hosts: Ivan and Karen
Don’t miss the fall kick-off of TWS Reading Series. We’re in a new location at a new time with a dynamite opening line-up. Mark your calendar today and plan to arrive early to re-connect with old friends. We’re particularly pleased to have Esmeralda Cabral and Jennifer Irvine reading for us in October and our guest author will be the effervescent Daniela Elza. Other readers include Lynda Williams, Carolyne Wong, Jane Silcott, Christine Hayvice, and Rahat Kurd.
Eugene and his staff at Cottage Bistro are looking forward to making us welcome.
*Cottage Bistro takes cash or debit cards only
[“the effervescent Daniela Elza” Thank you. I like it.]
- August 25, 2012
Summer Dream Literary Arts Festival, I will be featuring at 3:15-3:30 pm on the Granville Stage, Trout Lake, Vancouver.The festival takes place between 11-7pm. There are three stages, free workshops, and a farmers market at Trout Lake that day. (here are the details of line up. Also see the workshops and performers’ bios)
The night before on August 24th is the Awards Gala night. Come celebrate people in the community who are getting awards. There will be free food, cash bar and silent auction.
- August 16, 2012
Participate in a pannel at SFU on traditional publishing and e-publishing.
July 8, 2012, 3pm-5pm
- Read at The Dead Poets Reading Series. The poet I will be presenting is Wisława Szymborska.
Project Space, 222 Georgia St., Vancouver. Here is the line up:
We’re also pleased to report that the lineup for our July 8th reading is set:Ted Hughes (1930 – 1998), read by Kate Braid
Octavio Paz (1914 – 1998), read by George McWhirter
Wisława Szymborska (1923 – 2012), read by Daniela Elza
Alden Nowlan (1933 – 1983), read by Ken Klonksy
Bronwen Wallace (1945 – 1989), read by Hal Wake
“I prefer the absurdity of writing poems to the absurdity of not writing poems.” – Wisława Szymborska
“nothing can ever happen twice/in consequence, the sorry fact is/that we arrive here improvised/and leave without the chance to practice.” – Wisława Szymborska
“whatever we might think of this measureless theater to which we’ve got reserved tickets, but tickets whose lifespan is laughably short, bounded as it is by two arbitrary dates; whatever else we might think of this world – it is astonishing.” – Wisława Szymborska, from her 1996 Nobel Lecture
July 25, 2012, 5:30-6:15pm
Clyde Reed (bass), Jared Burrows (guitar) and I will be doing the first set of 4 evenings of poetry, spontaneous song, and improvised music events. Hope you consider coming to some, or all of it. June 25th -28th, 5:30pm – 7:05pm. (See attached poster for more details).
- June 1-5th, 2012
Book tour for the weight of dew launch in central BC:KAMLOOPS
Book Launch and Reading +Q & A + Open Mic
June 1, Friday, 4 pm (sign up for the Open Mike at 3:30 pm)
@The Art We Are, 246 Victoria St., Kamloops
Free event, Books for sale ($19.95) Meet and Mingle!VERNON:
Book Launch and Reading
June 2, Saturday, 3:30-5:30 pm.
@The Mackie Lake House, 7804 Kidston Rd, Coldstream, Vernon
Admission Free, Books for sale ($19.95) Meet the author!
June 3rd Sunday 7:30 pm Gallery Vertigo, Book Launch & Reading @ 3001 31 St. #1 upstairs, Vernon. (250) 503 – 2297 Meet the author!, Q & A, Open mike( one poem a person), Admission Free, Books for saleKELOWNA:
Book Launch and Reading
June 4, 2012
@the Kelowna Library, 1380 Ellis St., Kelowna.PENTICTON
Book Launch and Reading + Q & A +Open Mic
June 5, 2012
7pm. (sign up for Open Mic at 6:30pm)
@Hooked on Books, 225 Main St., Penticton
- Tuesday, May 29, 2012, 7:00-9:00pm
An Evening of Art and Poetry:
Featuring AVIE ESTRIN, TASLIM JAFFER, DANIELA ELZA, BONNIE NISH, MS. SPELT and DAVID SHEWEL, who will read their poetry inspired by the art exhibited Celebrating Jerusalem group art exhibit of painting, photography, glass and metal sculpture There will be time for the audience to write to the exhibit and read during the ‘open mic’ portion of the evening.
Presented by the Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery in collaboration with Pandora’s Collective, Cherie Smith JCC Jewish Book Festival and the Isaac Waldman Jewish Public Library and made possible by the Yosef Wosk Poetry Initiative Grant.
Location: Jewish Community Centre (Gallery Room), 950 41st Ave W Vancouver
Hosts: TIMOHTY SHAY and PAMELA BENTLEY
Contact: Bonnie Nish at email@example.com
- May 13, 2012
Feature at Bohemian Caress:
A new multidisciplinary performance series of poets, spoken-word performers joined by a band improvising with their work, and a live painter putting the energy onto canvas. Our first feature is Daniela Elza. Other performers include Pam Galloway, Raoul Fernandes, and Heidi Greco. The Band: Clint ‘Father Goose’ Wilson, Joshua Viau, and Dex Arizona. Special musical guest: Christie Watson.
Hosts: Kyle Hawke and Shannon Horan. May 13, 7:30pm, @Montmartre Cafe, 4362 Main Street. Second Sunday of each month.
- Thursday, May 3, 2012, 7-8:30 pm
Reading with Diana Hayes
VPL Alma VanDusen Room, Vancouver.
- April 14, 2012, 3:30-5:30pm.
Reading at Poetry Around the World along side Dennis E. Bolen, Bonnie Nish, Pam Bentley, Kyla Bourgh, Steve Duncan, Kyle Hawke, Timothy Shay. We each will read for about 10 minutes.
- April 15, 2012, 2-5pm.
Launching The Weight of Dew at Poetic Justice Reading Series. Reading along side poets Rob Taylor and Tomothy Shay.
- Wednesday, April 18 at 7:30 pm,
Ocean Park Library, 512854 – 17th Avenue, Surrey, BC V4A 1T
Readings by the Salish Sea Presents:
A Balancing Act in Two Voices: Featuring Poets Daniela Elza and E.D. Blodgett
- Saturday, April 21, 2012, 4pm
Book Launch Celebration: at Mother Tongue Publishing Letterpress Studio and The Porch Gallery, 290 Fulford-Ganges Rd ( park on the road please), Salt Spring Island.
Author reading, books for sale, refreshments.
- April 5, 2012 , (7:30-10pm, Open Mic sign up is at 7pm)
Launching the weight of dew at Twisted Poets Literary Salon, The Prophouse 1636 Venables Ave.
Reading alongside Kate Braid and bass player Clyde Reed.
- March 22-25, 2012
Attending and presenting at Split this Rock Poetry Festival. Washington DC.
- March 28, 2012, from 12noon -1pm.
Evelyn Lau and Daniela Elza will feature at the first event of a newly minted Lunch Poems Reading Series. There will also be time for Q&A. SFU Harbour Centre, Tek Gallery on the Main Floor, where that huge glass window looks out over the inlet. All are welcome.
- March 7, 2012, from 2-2:30pm
Wax Poetic Co-op Radio 102.7 FM. Tune in.
- Sunday, March 11, 2012 from 5:30-7:30 pm
FIRST BOOK LAUNCH of the weight of dew
@The Railway Club (Back Room), 579 Dunsmuir Street, Vancouver, BC V6B 3K4, Vancouver.
phone: (604) 681-1625
- Sunday, February 26th, 2012, 9pm -10pm, I will be featuring on THE STORYTELLING RADIO SHOW, lead by Taryn Hubbard. Here is the link to the archive.The Storytelling Show broadcasts live on Vancouver Co-op Radio 102.7 FM in the Downtown Eastside every Sunday night from 9 p.m. to 10 p.m. The show is run by a collective of local women writers and features women storytellers in all forms, including poets, photographers, filmmakers, artists, musicians, and designers. The show streams on www.coopradio.org, and we share information about upcoming shows on our Facebook page.
- Saturday, February 4, 2012
- at 7pm – 9pm, W2 Media Cafe [downstairs], 111 West Hastings Street, DTES, Vancouver
- *** FREE EVENT ***
Featuring LIVE READINGS by:
Evelyn Lau, Marita Dachsel, Rob Taylor, Onjana Yawnghwe, Warren Dean Fulton, Daniela Elza, Timothy Shay.
Presented by Books on the Radio Projects, Pandora’s Collective and Tightrope Books.
- Thursday Dec. 1, 2011.
I will be reading at the Kranky Cafe alongside Heather Haley, and Miranda Pearson.Click here for the bios and more info. Thursday, December 1, 2011 at 7pm
The Kranky Reading Series
Poets Daniela Elza, Miranda Pearson, and Heather Haley.@ the Kranky Cafe #216-228 E.4th Avenue
(East of Main west of Scotia)
- October 20-23, 2011
Presenting at the 3rd International Symposium on Poetic Inquiry, Bournemouth University, Bournemouth,
Dorset, UK.Bournemouth, England.
- October 20-23, 2011
Presenting at the 3rd International Symposium on Poetic Inquiry, Bournemouth University, Bournemouth,
Dorset, UK.Bournemouth, England.
- October 1, 2011, 1:00-3:00pm
THE ROAMING POETS.
@1:00pm -The Old School House
@2:30pm-Town Square beside the Vancouver Island Regional Library
For the first year of the Roaming Poets event are Yvonne Blomer, Daniela Elza, David Fraser and Kim Goldberg. The Roaming Poets will be at the Old School House in Qualicum Beach at 1:00 just after the TOSH Harvest Festival Concert from 12 to 1:00. The Roaming Poets will be reading and performing their work in the open air with a portable mic and they will also be inviting writers from the audience to read or perform a piece as part of the event, so bring something to read for the audience. After an hour the Roaming Poets will be strolling over to the town square beside the fountain at the Vancouver Island Regional Library to repeat the process with different material and everyone is welcome to tag along, talk poetry and breathe in the fresh autumn air.
This event is sponsored by the League of Canadian Poets, The Canada Council for the Arts and The WordStorm Society for the Arts
- September 17, 2011, 3:30pm – 5:30pm
Poetry Around the World.
@Renfrew Public Library, 2969 East 22nd Avenue, Vancouver
Founder and host: Lucia Monica Gorea
Free event. Refreshments. Books for sale. Book Signing.
- TWS READING SERIES
Thursday, September 8, 2011, 7-9pm
@Rhizome Café, 317 East Broadway (at Kingsway)
For more information, visit http://www.thewritersstudio.ca/readings/The Writer’s Studio at Simon Fraser University presents The Writer’s Studio Reading Series. Come join us for a great evening of storytelling and poetry. This month’s feature author is Melanie Jackson, a suspense-adventure writer for children and young adults. The other readers for the night will be Leanne Dunic, Yaana Dancer, Daniela Elza, Carol Tulpar, Linda King, Christine Grimard, and Renee Sarojini Saklikar. See the poster below for the readers’ bios.
PDF Version TWS Reading Series Playbill for September 8 2011
- August 13, 2011.
Will be at the Summer Dream Literary Arts Festival. Will host. Will lead a panel discussion on collaborations.Will read as part of Mother Tongue Publishing. (Congratulations to Mother Tongue Publishing for receiving the Pandora’s Collective Publisher Award this year.)
- July 24, 2011
Will feature at Poetic Justice Reading Series along side Diane Tucker and Bonnie Nish. Come and bring something for the open mic.
@ the Heritage Grill 3pm -5pm, New Westminster.
- July 7, and 21 will be co-hosting Twisted Poets. pm-10pm
The Prophouse Cafe, 1636 Venables Street, Vancouver
Feature Poets July 7: Trevor Carolan and Tomothy Shay
Feature Poets July 21: Marni Norwich and Natasha Boskic
Hosts: Bonnie Nish and Daniela Elza
Suggested Donation: $5.00 at the door.
- July 11th, 2011, 7:30pm (doors open at 7:15pm)
Literary Cafe, Harrison Literary Festival of the Arts, Harrison Hot Springs.
I will perform along side poets Trevor Carolan, Robert Martens, and musician Franklyn Currie and his band. For bios LitCafe2011_harfest_program_printreadyp2
Tickets for the Literary Café are $12 at the door. They can also be ordered at 796-3664.
- Thursday, June 16, 2011.
Will help host Twisted Poets.
The Prophouse Cafe, 1636 Venables Street, Vancouver
Hosts: Bonnie Nish and Daniela Elza
Suggested Donation: $5.00 at the door.Share in an evening of literary surprises in a warm and encouraging environment. Connect, read and enjoy.Come early and sign up for the OPEN MIC portion of the evening. In the spirit of Vancouver all are welcome.
The features of our June 2 Twisted Poets Salon will be Bernice Lever + Jude Neale
- Thursday, June 23, 2011, 8-10 pm
An Open Mic in connection with Vancouver Keep it Spectacular! (Mixed Media Paintings and Drawings by Joel Libin)Location: Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery at the Jewish Community Centre
950 West 41st Avenue (just east of Oak Street in Vancouver)
Free AdmissionOpen Mic includes a diverse array of Vancouver artists: Tom Myring (Acoustic Guitar), Victor Cobian and Broken By Fire (Concert), Ryan Nadel (Short Story and Poetry), Poetry by Bonnie Nish, Daniela Elza, David Shewell and Robin Susanto, Joel Libin (Short Story and Poetry), Jeff Cunningham (Video Artist), Ryan Smith (Video Artist), Ira Cooper (Video Artist), Peter Koulouris (Video Artist)
Additional Open Mic Participation
- April 30th, 2011, 7:30pm
Poet Trevor Carolan, guitarist Andrew Collins and myself will be doing a half hour show of music poetry and song
at the Deep Cove Yacht Club. Beltane will also include performances of celtic fiddle, irish dancing, folk blues, multi-cultural drumming, etc. See the poster for more details.
April 14th, 6:30pm-8:30pm
- POETRY AROUND THE WORLD
celebrates National Poetry Month with an evening of poetry and spoken-word readings featuring:
Bonnie Nish, Daniela Elza, Ashok Bhargava, Franci Louann and Warren Dean Fulton and OPEN MIC.
Host: Lucia Monica Gorea . Admission is free. Refreshments.
Location: Renfrew Public Library, 2969 East 22nd Avenue, Vancouver, BC
- March 15th, 6:30-8:30pm.
- Short Line Readings Series: Poets in Conversation
A reading dedicated to collaborations.
This evening features several writers who work collaboratively with other writers or involve others in their writing process and work:
Christine Leclerc, Shannon Rayne, Warren Dean Fulton, Mariner Janes, and Daniela Elza.
The reading will be at The Railway Club (579 Dunsmuir) on Tuesday March 15 at 6:30pm-8:30 pm.
For more information contact Aubyn Radar (editor of Memewar Magazine): firstname.lastname@example.org
February 6th, 2011, 7-9 pm.
- WORD WHIPS
Inspired byYoram Kastiel’s photography exhibit “Kumra, My Child”.
Featured readers Natasha Boskic, Fran Bourassa, Mary Duffy, Daniela Elza, Stephen Karr, Christy Hill, Taslim Jaffer, Suzy Malcolm and Rob Taylor will read from their work inspired by the photography of Yoram Kastiel. There will be time for the audience to participate by writing to the exhibit and sharing their work at the open mic section of the evening.
Hosts: Bonnie Nish and Warren Dean Fulton
Presented by The Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery, Pandora’s Collective and The Isaac Waldman Jewish Public Library, Suggested donation $5.00 All Proceeds will go to help Yoram Kastiel continue to build schools in Ghana. Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery, 950 W 41st
January 27th, 2011.
- Participated/read at Mashed Poetics VI The Jimi Hendrix Experience.
I took the challenge of writing to a song that was sent to me. How could I not.
Thursday Jan 27th at the Cottage Bistro (4468 Main Street) Show time 8pm. $5-$10 sliding scale.What is Mashed Poetics? RC Weslowski (aka Randy Jacobs) says: “It’s a show that I organize where we mash up music and poetry. We get a cover band, a classic rock album and a gaggle of poets to come up with new work for the show. I assign one song from the record to each poet and they use that song as a writing prompt.” So the band plays a song and a poet reads what the song inspired, and it alternates that way for the night.If it was your first time, it was my first time too:-)
January 14th, 2011.
- Invited to read at the launch of New Earth Institute
January 9, 2011.
I will co-host:
- Word Whips: Inspired by “out of the silence” an art show by sidi schaffer.
Time: 7-9 pm
Join us as Mary Duffy, Christy Hill, Taslim Jaffer, Stephen Karr, Eva Waldauf will read from their work inspired by the artwork of sidi schaffer. There will be time for the audience to participate by writing to the exhibit and sharing their work at the mic as well.
Location: Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery, JCCGV 950 W 41st Ave.
Host/s: Bonnie Nish and Daniela Elza
Presented by The Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery, Pandora’s Collective and The Isaac Waldman Jewish Public Library.
November 29th, 2010, 6:30pm
- Read at the WordStorm Reading Series, at the Red Martini Grill, in Nanaimo, BC. (To reserve seats ahead of time email: ascentaspirations(at)shaw(dot)ca). Reserved seating will take place before 6:30. Walk-in seats will be available after 6:30. Music starts at 6:30 and the program begins at 7:00.)
November 19th and 20th
- See The Voice: VISIBLE VERSE 10th Anniversary Celebration & Festival. The schedule is up on Heather Haley’s site.I am glad to say the submission Dethe and I collaborated on (in earth dreams) has been accepted and was part of the festival on the second day, November 20th.Here is more on Visible Verse Video Poetry Festival.
October 16th, 2010, 7pm.
- A TASTE OF WORDS
Join us for a Mother Tongue Publishing night with novelist Gurjinder Basran (Everything Was Good-bye, 2010), poets Daniela Elza (4poets, 2009) and Mona Fertig (The Unsettled). Music and original songs by Peter Haase (Liverpool Pete). Cafe Montmartre, October 16th, 7—8pm. Admission free. Books will be available for purchase.
Oct 4th —9th, 2010 is Random Acts of Poetry week.
30 poets across Canada have signed up to participate. The focus this year is on youth at risk.
I took on the challenge.
In its seventh year now, Random Acts of Poetry is made possible by its founder Wendy Morton and the Victoria READ Society. It is also sponsored by the Canada Council for the Arts. Thanks Wendy Morton and Victoria READ Society and sponsors for such a wonderful program. A win-win for all involved.
For more information: visit the Random Acts of Poetry website.
September 26th, 2010.
- Word on the Street. Poetry Tent. (I will be reading with Poetry in Transit at 2:50pm, and with Twisted Poets between 4 and 4:30 pm. You can also find me between 12 and 2pm at the Federation of BC Writers table. I can read to you there too, if necessary. (for the line up at the poetry tent go to their website).
Friday August 20, 2010
Summer Dreams Awards Ceremony: A Night of Honour
- Join us at the Jacana Gallery, to celebrate those in the writing community who deserve to be honoured. On the eve of the Summer Dream’s fest we will begin with a lifetime achievement award for Susan Musgrave. We will then go on to give awards to publishers of magazines who continue to support novice and established writers despite cutbacks and inflation. To be honoured are Room, Event, Prism, Sub Terrain, Geist, The Vancouver Review, The Capilano Review, and One Cool Word. Finally, the evening will end with four special awards. Three will be awards of merit for persons or organizations that support the writing community. These awards come from the writing community itself. We asked for nominations from the community and the results will be announced the night of the gala. One award will go to recognize an individual who Pandora’s Collective feels has excelled in their support of writers within our community. This years Citizenship Award goes to Daniela Elza. The evening will continue with Pandora’s Collective commitment to highlighting community involvement to the public. Music: James Mark and Mike Peacock of Melic Thrum (our musical featured guest). Jaime Reid will close the evening with poetry and music. Silent Auction. Cash Bar.
Time: 7:00 pm. Location: Jacana Gallery (2435 Granville Street)
August 21st, 2010
- I will read, take part in a pannel discussion, and MC at Summer Dream Literary Arts Festival.
The Summer Dreams Literary Arts Festival is a one day annual free event which takes place at Lumberman’s Arch, in beautiful Stanley Park.This event is an outdoor festival which showcases and celebrates the on-going literary events, programs and resources available in the community. The line up is a combination of literary performances, dancers, local bands, panel discussions, open mics etc. This year’s performers include Evelyn Lau, Betsy Warland, Brad Cran, Wayde Compton & Vancouver’s own Theatre In the Raw and more. There is also a children’s area with puppet shows, music, story tellers, face painting and craft tables. Information tables showcasing community groups and resources.
For all that you need to know please visit the website with news, information and a downloadable schedule.
August 2nd, 2010, 1-2pm.
- Reading at Harmony Fest, Monday, August 2, 2010Love On a Summer’s Day: Join poets Trevor Carolan, Daniela Elza and English guitarist Andrew Collins as they perform new and favourite poems and songs on the themes of Love and Art. A lyric event for all ages at the beautiful Ambleside Landing!
Mon., Aug. 2. 1:00-2:00 pm, ArtSpeak Tent at Ferry Building Gallery, Ambleside, West Vancouver. For more information about the Harmony Arts festival call (604) 925-7268, or visit www.harmonyarts.ca website.
Thursday, July 8th, 7:30pm.
- Join us for an evening of poetry and conversation with poets Daniela Elza, Al Rempel, and Onjana Yawnghwe, who will read from 4poets (Mother Tongue Publishing, 2009). Thursday, July 8, 7:30 to 9:30 p.m., at Historic Joy Kogawa House, 1450 West 64th Avenue (two blocks east of Granville). Admission by donation. Books will be available for sale and signing by the authors. Space is limited, so to ensure a seat, please RSVP to email@example.com.
Friday, July 9th, 7pm.
- Join us at the TWS Reading Series Night on Friday, July 9th, at Take 5 Cafe (The United Kingdom Building,
429 Granville Street, at Hastings in Downtown Vancouver). The event is from 7 to 9:30pm. Line up: Guest author: Al Rempel who will be launching understories (Caitlin Press, 2010). Other readers will be Daniela Elza, Madalyn Butler, Meaghan Rondeau, Brenda B, Jennifer Irvine, Sylvia Taylor, Cathy Sostad, Gordon Cornwall, Antonette Rea (click here for the TWS reading playbill for July).
They will be back in September with new host/s.
A big thank you goes to Eufemia Fantetti, an alumni of the school, who for the past year has volunteered her time to hosting The Writers’ Studio reading series, and has done a fabulous job.
- You are invited to an evening of poetry: Fiona Tinwei Lam (reading from “Enter the Chrysanthemum”), Al Rempel (guest author, launching his new book understories, Caitlin Press, 2010) , Daniela Elza (reading from “4poets” plus other selected work) and Christi Kramer (reading from selected work). July 10th, 7pm, at the Wired Monk, 2610 West 4th Ave. The event is free. Books will be available for sale and signing by the authors.
The Wired Monk is a cafe/bistro/bar which offers free wireless internet, fair trade organic coffee & loose leaf tea and freshly made food (which includes a selection of homemade soups and stews, grilled paninis and wraps, salads, and deserts). So come and make a night of it. Live music might follow.
- Please join poets Kate Braid, Al Rempel, Daniela Elza, & musician Clyde Reed (on bass) Sunday, July 11, 7:00pm @ Café Montmarte ( 4362 Main St.). Guest poet Al Rempel will be launching understories, (Caitlin Press, 2010). Books will be available for sale and signing by the authors. The event is free.
- May, 27th, 2010. Reading/Writing Workshop, North Delta.
- May 19th, 2010. Writing Workshop at SFU.
- April 1st, 2010. Reading/Writing Workshop, SFU.
- April 25th, 2010 5pm. Read at Chapters on Granville and Broadway as part of their Read Local, Bye Local reading events.
- April 23rd, 2010 Planet Earth Poetry at The Black Stilt Coffee House (103-1633 Hillside Ave.,Victoria) launched Daniela Elza, Peter Morin, and Onjana Yawnghwe’s book 4poets, published by Mother Tongue Publishing. The evening begins at 7:30 with an open mike; 3$ at the door.
This event is supported by The League of Canadian Poets and The Canada Council for the Arts.
for more details contact firstname.lastname@example.org
- April 20, 2010, 7-9pm.:
Word Whips: Alley Ways: The Hidden Places Uncovered: An evening of art and poetry collaboration presented by the Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery, The Jewish Museum & Archives of British Columbia and Pandora’s Collective. Featured poets Daniela Elza, Christi Kramer, RC Weslowski, Sue Cormier, Don Simpson, Leef Evans and Alex Winstanley will read poetry inspired by Norm Chodirker and Jeanne Krabbendam.Exhibit: Norm Chodirker and Jeanne Krabbendam.: Born on different continents and influenced by different cultures, these two artists found connection, respect and inspiration through each other’s artwork. Alley Ways is an exhibit that tells this story.
- April 18, 2010read at the Federation of BC Writers Meet and Greet Luncheon in Fort Langley at Bedfort House. Time: 12:30 -3pm.
- March 15th, 2010, Read at a Fundraiser for Pandora’s Collective and The Vancouver Artists Collective
Time: 6 pm – 12am
Location: The Cottage Bistro
4468 Main Street @ 29th AvenueTickets: $20 at the door includes entertainment, a burger with fries and beer. After costs, all proceeds go directly Pandora’s Collective and The Vancouver Artists Collective.
- March 4th, 2010, at TWISTED POETS LITERARY SALON (1st Thursday of every month) I will read from 4poets. Christi Kramer is the other feature. Time: 7-9pm. Location: Cambie Bakery and Cafe, 312 Cambie Street (North of Hastings), Vancouver B.C. In the spirit of Vancouver all poets are welcome. Come and read, there is an open mike section.
Hosts: Bonnie Nish and Sita Carboni
- Dec. 9th, 7pm featured at World Poetry at the Urth Cafe, New Westminster.
- November 17th, at 7:30pm featured at Spoken Ink at the James Street Cafe, 3819 Canada Way, Burnaby (one block east of Boundary Road).
4 Poets: Daniela Elza, Peter Morin, Al Rempel, Onjana Yawnghwe (Mother Tongue Publishing,2009).
- August 29th, 2009 (Saturday) Prince George, Daniela and Al at Books and Co, 7:30pm.
- Sept. 10th, 2009 (Thursday) part of the TWS reading series, Daniela reads at the Rhizome Cafe, 317 East Broadway, time 7-9pm.
- Sept. 12th, 2009 (Saturday), Salt Spring Island, Lions Club, 8 pm.
- Sept. 21st, 2009 ( Monday), VPL, Vancouver, 7:30 pm.
- Nov. 12th, 2009 (Thursday), 7pm, Robson Square Reading series
- October 25th, 2009. read as part of an evening of poetry for peace we are putting together in conjunction with Poets Against War. There will be an open mike section. It will be great to see you there. Café Montmartre, 4362 Main Street, Vancouver. Come at 6:30pm the event will start soon after.
- October 23/24/25, co-presented a workshop in collaboration with choreographer, dancer, and multimedia artist Su-Lin Tseng at the Education With/Out Boarders graduate conference that happens every year at beautiful Sasamat Lake. Will link to the schedule when it is up.The Invitation: Moving Words
A collaboration between a poet and a dancer. We compose in space when moving our bodies, as we compose on the page when placing our words on it. We invite you to come to this creative space where you are listener and creator in an authentic relationship embodying a moment of being. Participants will be invited in a workshop atmosphere to translate movement to word and word to movement. How do we read a dance, and how do we dance a poem.
- October 15th-18th, 2009. attended and presented at the Second International Symposium on Poetic Inquiry, Charlottetown, Prince Edward Island. Here is the program.
- On August 19th, 2009 The 6th Annual Summer Dream festival kicks off with a special reading at the Jewish Community Centre where featured poets Fran Bourassa, Christine LeClerc, Christy Hill, Daniela Elza and Steve Duncan will read poetry inspired by artist Linda Frimer’s work. Local singer-songwriter Jess Hill will start the evening. And yes, we will get together at the gallery in August a week or so before, write to the art, and then fresh, still warm with only a week or so to make the poems the best they can be will read to an audience that will also have time to write and share, in an evening of art and poetry collaboration presented by the Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery, The Jewish Museum & Archives of British Columbia and Pandora’s Collective. Come and play.
Time: 7:00 pm. Location: at the Jewish Community Center, 950 W. 41st Ave., Vancouver, BC
August 22nd, 2009 6th Annual Summer Dream Literary Arts Festival read, MC, and took part in the
- Panel Discussion: Has poetry lost its audience? 1:30 – 1:50 pm
Moderator: Vancouver Poet George McWhirter. Panelists: Rita Wong, Jabez Churchill, Daniela Elza, Christine LeClerc.
Discussion: At this years VIWF, Andreas Schroeder (a once-upon-a-time enthusiastic poet) said, woefully, Poetry has lost its audience. Has it? If it has, where has the audience gone instead? What did the audience want? Does poetry only have devotees now, poets writing for other poets, and no fans, no general interest? Has it separated the language of poetry from what Wordsworth called the real language? Is our crisis the same as in his time: too many rarified manners to satisfy the many?
for more details of this 12 -7 pm. event follow the link to the schedule.
On July 7th, 2009 I had my Colloquium
- as part of my comprehensive exams at SFU. I presented for an hour (the longest poetry reading I have done so far) followed by an hour session of questions, answers, discussion. This discussion turned into an hour and a half and could have kept going if there were no pending doctor appointments, or expired parking. I thank all of you who came and supported me in this important moment in my life and also for all your comments, thoughts, questions, and love.
June 11th-13th I am invited to
- On June 11th, 2009: read at Cafe Montmartre at 4362 Main Street starting at 7.30. Shared the stage with Harold Rhenisch where we read for the first time in public some of the collaborated poems we have been working on.
- June 12, 2009: Read from A Verse Map of Vancouver at the League of Canadian Poets conference/festival in Vancouver ( SFU-Harbour Center).
- June 12, 2009. Read at 7:30 at the Cafe Deux Soleils (www.cafedeuxsoleils.com) as a New League Member.
June 4th, 7—9 pm
- Feature at Twisted Poets along with Rob Taylor.
April 29th from 2—2:30pm
- Anna Wärje and I will be on Co-op radio 102.7FM
on their Wax Poetic show.You can contact Steve Duncan in case others (Rocksalt-ers or not) would like to schedule a time to go on.
April 21, 7 pm, Poet Laureate Book Launch:
- A Verse Map of Vancouver. Edited by George McWhirter; published by Anvil Press, at the Central Library, Alice MacKay room. (I have two poems in it).
April 23rd from 6pm—9pm
- Main Street Literary festival ( for BC Book & Magazine Week 2009) in Various venues on Main Street, Vancouver. I will be part of the Rocksalt reading for Mother Tongue Publishing, at 7:45—8:20 / The Grind, 4124 Main Street.
April 10th from 7pm – 9 pm, I will be part of the
- TWS reading series, at Blenz Coffee Shop (on the corner of Hastings and Richards in downtown Vancouver). (line up: Adam Warren, Daniela Elza, Renee Sarojini Saklikar, Rob Taylor, Amalia Pistilli, Leslie Hill)
Collage: A Night of Connection.
- A number of poets (Daniela Elza, Fran Bourassa, Suzy Malcolm, Wanda John, Mary Duffy, Jason Morden, Sita Carboni and Bonnie Nish) will write to art by Assia Linkovsky’s exhibit Telescoptic. Thursday, February 5, 2009 from 7 to 9 pm
at Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery at the Jewish Community Centre, 950 West 41st Avenue. Admission is free and everyone is welcome. The artist will attend. The exhibit runs until Sunday, February 8, 2009.
Invited to be
- a co-judge of Pandora’s Collective Poetry Contest, Jan. 2009.
- Read at Tanglewood Books (1553 W. Broadway) on Monday night, Jan. !9th, as a feature with Pandora’s Collective.
- in which I feel honored to have a poem and a poetic statement. Here are the three that I will attend, but will read at the latter two:
- Oct. 23rd, 2008. Thursday evening – Agro Café on Granville Island, (7pm) during the VIWF
- Nov. 7th, 2008. Friday, 7—9:30 pm at the Vancouver Public Library
- Nov. 21st, 2008. Friday, 7:30 pm at
- , 3185 Edgemont Blvd. North Vancouver.
The Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery and the Cherie Smith JCC Jewish Book Festival of the Jewish Community Centre of Greater Vancouver together with Pandora’s Collective and the Vancouver Artists Collective invite you to attend:
- ECHOING VOICES
An evening of visual art, writing and readings
When: Thurs. Nov. 13, 2008, 7 – 9 p.m.
Where: Sidney and Gertrude Zack Gallery, located in the JCC, 950 West 41st Avenue, Vancouver (btwn Oak & Cambie)
Everyone is welcome (for more details here, scroll down)
- Was a judge in one of the categories in the Ina Coolbrith Poetry Contest, Aug., 2008.
- Hosted and read at Summer Dream Literary Arts Festival Saturday, July 26, 2008.
- The Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences, May 2008 at UBC, Vancouver.
I was part of three panels/presentations:
- To the oddness and distance of things: Poetic provocations to philosophical musings. (poetic presentation)
- Remembering Connection with ALL that IS: Ecological Justice from a Parenting Point of View
- Inhabitions: A collaborative creative process in multi-diciplinary arts
- Poets and Painter’s Show at The South Delta Artist Guild, 1710 56 St., Delta, BC. Opening night: Saturday, March 29th (1-4pm)
- (presented on two panels):
- Are children Philosophers?: Poetic explorations and
- Inhabitions: a collaboration between a dancer and a poet, October, 2007.
- The Word on the Street (read at Poets’ Corner) Sept.30th, 2007.
- The Congress of the Humanities and Social Sciences (Panel Presentation, see page 36) May, 2007.
- International School Library Day gala at the Artist for Kids Gallery in Leo Marshall Curriculum Centre, North Vancouver (organized by Sheilagh Martin in collaboration with Pandora’s Collective), Oct. 2006.
- The Word on the Street (Poets’ Corner) Sept., 2006.